Image Credit Inzmam Khan
Are You Feeling The Strain?
Well, you are not alone. Take a quick look at these stats and ask yourself a question do you feel the same?
74% of UK adults have felt so stressed at some point over the last year they felt overwhelmed or unable to cope.
- 81% of women said this compared to 67 percent of men.
- 83% of 18-24 year-olds said this compared to 65 percent of people aged 55 and over.
32% of adults said they had experienced suicidal feelings as a result of stress
- 35% of women said this compared to 29 percent of men.
- 39% of 18-24 year-olds said this compared to 25 percent of adults aged 55 and over.
16% of adults said they had self-harmed as a result of stress.
- 18% of women said this compared to 13 percent of men.
- 29% of 18-24 year-olds said this compared to 6 percent of adults aged 55 and over.
I see people stood on the train platform every day and their faces look blank. Over 50% of us would love to be somewhere else and not doing the job they do. This climbs to 72% if you’re under 34 [DWP]
But often debt and commitments keep us in a job because we have responsibilities. That in itself is stressful – feeling trapped.
If you feel stressed just stop for a moment and ask yourself a question; what are the short-term symptoms of stress – they are generally easy to see. But more importantly let’s quickly look at what stress does to us in the long term.
Well, long-term stress can affect all aspects of the body. Imagine driving your car at full speed all the time; what do you think the long-term effect of that would be on the vehicle? [ NCBI]
What do you do to release stress?
Tell us and let’s share stress-busting moments. It’s not rocket science, it’s about sharing habits with each other.
Some new habits will work for some people and others not. For more information see StessDrive.
These days it seems that most people suffer from stress of some kind. Let’s see what we can do about it.